Follow-up 2.0 Kingboard Copper Foil Holdings Limited

Today the announcement from the supreme court of Bermuda was made public. If you want some background to this legal process and Kingboard as a company see my earlier published checklist analysis post and follow-up & special situation analysis.

The Board wishes to update the Shareholders that the Court of Appeal of Bermuda had allowed the appeal and found in favour of the majority shareholders that have filed the appeal (the “Appellants”). A written judgment in respect of the appeal had been issued on 24 March 2017 (the “Appeal Judgment”). The judge deciding the appeal found, among other determinations, that the entry into the license agreement by the Company’s wholly-owned subsidiary, Hong Kong Copper Foil Limited, and Harvest Resource Management Limited (the “License Agreement”) was not oppressive conduct and did not unfairly prejudice the minority shareholders of the Company. It was also decided that the costs of the appeal and the court proceedings below are awarded to the Appellants.

This outcome of the legal process is not what I had expected, I must admit I’m really surprised. But when you are wrong the only thing to do is to admit that you were wrong and then review the current situation and any new facts that have been presented. So what do I do now?

The tender offer 0,40 SGD per share is still active and the intention to take the company private hasn’t changed. This morning the shares traded between 0,40 – 0,41 SGD. So the interesting question that I had to answer was: is there any upside left or should I sell today?

There might be some upside left due to the fact that the independent financial adviser has not yet commented on the 0,40 SGD buyout offer. However, because of the outcome of the court case in favor of the majority shareholder I believe there is now a much smaller chance of that review resulting in an increased buyout offer than I had predicted before. Reason being that it could earlier be argumented that the valuation of the tender offer as a premium to historical share price was a really bad staring point of valuation since Kingboards shares had traded at depressed levels because of the ongoing legal process and unfairly prejudice of minority shareholders. While I still think that historical share prices are not a relevant staring point for any valuation the premium can now arguably be seen as more “fair” than before as a court case didn’t find that minority shareholders had been mistreated (i.e less reson for the financial advisors to come up with a different valuation).

Another factor that might result in potential upside relates to the problem for majority shareholders to acquire enough shares to take the company private. So there might be an increased share offer price in order to succeed with this intention. There might even be a legal shareholder fight regarding the current buyout price being to much of a low ball offer. But again, because of the outcome of the legal process I have a hard time making an argument for this as a likely and successful outcome for minority shareholders. We also have the time factor to take into account as this can easily result in a another drawn out legal process.

To summarize and conclude, the court case announcement was both surprising and unfortunately really negative in relation to my predictions made in the special situation analysis. My main argument then was that all shareholders would likely to be bought out at the same price as the minority shareholders (‘the Pope entities’) as a result of the Bermuda court case. As a result of todays announcement we now know that my assumption and analysis was wrong and that it is now less chance of an increased buyout price. Therefore I decided to sell my entire position in Kingboard this morning at 0,405 SGD. I could of course have waited and tender my shares at 0,40 SGD at not transaction cost, but at a price of 0,405 SGD the transaction cost are already “included”. Also, selling today equals better CAGR on the investment but probably the most important factor of all; it saves me all the potential headaches that could arise with a Singapore-tender-offer in combination with a low cost focused stockbroker.

After brokerage fees and currency effects the return in Kingboard for my initial net-net position amounted to +45,7 %.

After brokerage fees and currency effects the return in Kingboard for my later initiated special situation position amounted to – 5,5 %.

Disclosure: The author doesn’t own any shares of SGX:K14 when this analysis is published.

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “Follow-up 2.0 Kingboard Copper Foil Holdings Limited

  1. Hi, as of 29 Mar if I’m not wrong, the level of acceptance was 61%, seeing such low levels of acceptance, what do you think might happen if they fail in their bid to privatisation? I guess they would try an offer from 45-50c to settle this issue once and for all. Their website has been down since 29 though :/

    Like

    1. Thanks for the information regarding the 61 % acceptance, where did you find that out?

      You might be right about the bid of 45-50c, that was exactly my thoughts before. However I see this as an more unlikely outcome today when the appeal went if favor of the majority shareholders. I think there are to many unknowns today and the website closing down is not a good sign that Kingboard wants to wrap this up fast. I’m afraid that this might continuous to be a drawn out process…

      Like

  2. I found it out through SGX website. Level of acceptance is 67% I made a mistake. And they had a new announcement stating that the 40c was a final offer price. I read your posts and a few others on valuebuddy, i guess you guys are more or less right. Management will not budge since there is no need to after winning the court case. If delist at 40c, good for them. If not, they will just carry on with their status quo. I just wonder what might happen to share price when privatisation fails.

    Like

    1. Thanks for the information!

      I think you make a fair judgement and analysis of the situation. What is going to happen next no one knows and the case is therefore in my opinion a pure speculation case.

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s